Guided Hike – Priorat Wine Country, Siurana Hike and Picnic
- Travel south of Barcelona for a private guided hike of the wooded hills of Siurana overlooking the Priorat vineyards
- Visit a Priorat winery for a wine tasting of the regions world famous wines
- Experience the tranquil, magnificent countryside of Catalonia “away from the madding crowd”
- Immerse yourself in the beauty of this Mediterranean region’s nature and heritage in a guided hike
- Have a traditional Catalan lunch in a local restaurant or have a gourmet Catalan picnic
Tour leader Killian Driscoll and your chauffeur will pick you up for your hike in the Priorat wine country from your chosen location, and you’ll start your tour driving out of the city with Killian introducing the day ahead, and answering any questions you may have. Throughout the day, Killian will share with you his knowledge of the region, and the places you visit.
You'll head for the beautiful mountain village of Siurana in the Priorat wine region, where you'll start your hike along the cliffs overlooking the Siurana River below. Working your way along the ancient mountain paths through the woodlands and mountain pastures, you'll go deep into the woods and ascend to the summit with precious views of the Priorat's vineyards and olive groves in the valleys below. With the background framed by the stunning Montsant Mountain range and natural park, you'll work you way down the mountainside, to meet again the medieval road to Siurana. Climbing up the old cobbled path, you'll reach the village. After a coffee break in a cafe perched on the cliff edge, you'll explore the medieval village with it's Romanesque church and castle ruins.
After your guided hike you'll enjoy a specially prepared, gourmet picnic of typical Catalan food and wine at a scenic picnic spot. Alternatively, you can choose to have lunch at a restaurant of your choosing.
After lunch, you'll enjoy a drive through the stunning Priorat wine country, and visit a winery where you can enjoy a wine tasting. The Priorat is the premier wine region in Catalonia, and is only one of two (the other being Rioja) wine regions in Spain with the denomination of DOQ, the highest mark of quality. The region is especially known for its red wines, but a tasting of Priorat's whites should not be missed.
Hike and Trail Details
- Elevation max: 777 m (2549 ft)
- Elevation min: 616 m (2021 ft)
- Total Uphill: 288 m (945 ft)
Below is a map of the guided hike trail, with an interactive map that you can view the elevation along the trail. Overall, the hike is 7.6 km (4.7 miles) and takes about 2.5 hrs of walking, with plenty of time for taking in the scenery and photo stops.
The activity level is easy to medium. A number of stretches are steep. Comfortable footwear is recommended (hiking boots are not required, sneakers / trainers are fine).
Other Day Tour Options and Related Itineraries
- If you would like to visit the Priorat wine region without a hike you can take our Archaeology of Wine – From Prehistory to Present, Priorat Tour
- You can take another hike in the Priorat wine country on our Priorat Wine Country Cartoixa D'Escaladei Guided Hike
- You can also take a tour of the Priorat wine region and its UNESCO prehistoric rock art sites on our Discovering Prehistoric Rock Art of the Mediterranean Basin, Priorat Tour