Montserrat Hike and Gourmet Picnic Tour
- Travel northwest of Barcelona for a tour of the iconic monastery and landscape of Montserrat
- Enjoy a hike along the ancient pilgrimage trails in the remarkably beautiful Montserrat Mountain, and explore the medieval ruins
- Experience the tranquil, stunning countryside of Catalonia “away from the madding crowd”
- Immerse yourself in the charms of this Mediterranean region’s culture and heritage in an expert-led tour
- Have a gourmet Catalan picnic or a traditional Catalan lunch in a local restaurant
Duration: Approximately 5 hours
Activity level: Moderate
Tour leader Killian Driscoll and your chauffeur will pick you up from your chosen location, and you’ll start your tour driving out of the city with Killian introducing the day ahead, and answering any questions you may have.
Throughout the day, Killian will share with you his knowledge of the history and archaeology of the region, and the places you visit. You will be given an insight into the lives of the people that inhabited the area, looking at the majestic Montserrat Monastery and its holy sites, and Montserrat's breathtaking scenery.
Your tour of Montserrat Mountain takes you about 1 hr. northwest of Barcelona. The first stop will be at the Montserrat Monastery where you will explore Catalonia's most holy site, including visiting the famous "La Moreneta" - the Black Madonna and child - one of Catalonia's patron saints. After a relaxing coffee break overlooking the lush contoured hills, you'll drive across Montserrat Mountain to its less frequented western side where you'll stop and take an hour long leisurely hike along the stunning ancient pilgrimage trails, discovering ancient ruins and the spectacular views.
After your relaxing hike you will sit down to enjoy your specially prepared, gourmet Catalan picnic at the charming Montserrat mountainside picnic spot of Coll Can Maçana. After lunch, you will travel back to Barcelona.*
After lunch, you will travel back to Barcelona, or have an option for a private tour and tasting of a winery in the nearby Penedès wine region. The Penedès wine region is renowned for its Cava (Spanish Champagne), as well as having some fantastic reds, whites, and rosés. Further details of our Penedès winery tours can be found in the Afternoon section here.